Arya Samaj was founded by Swami Dayananda Saraswati back in 1875, and since then, it has established itself as a prominent society.
Anyone can approach the Arya Samaj for their marriage, and it will be conducted according to Arya Samaj rules. The Arya Samaj marriage is performed as per the Vedic ritual, and it is valid by the Arya Samaj marriage act 1937. This article comes under the Hindu Marriage Act, and it applies equally to Arya Samajis.
Well, the Arya Samaj does not believe in Idol Worship, and that is why their marriages are performed by different rituals than Hindus.
Eligibility to be married in Arya Samaj
- The groom must be older than 21, and the bride must be older than 18
- A person who belongs to Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, or Sikh community can perform Arya Samaj marriage.
- You can also do inter-caste and inter-religion marriages in Arya Samaj, but any of the parties must not be from Muslims, Christians, or Parsis.
- If a non-Hindu wants to perform a marriage in Arya Samaj Mandir, then they would allow you to convert through a process called Shuddhi. If people from Muslim, Christian, Parsi, or Jew community wants to convert out of their free will, the Arya Samaj Temple would perform a ritual called Shiddhi and then perform the marriage.
The legality of Arya Samaj Marriage
If you are getting married in Arya Samaj temple, then you have to get your marriage registered under section 8 of the Act by the marriage registrar of the district, where you are.
Yes, the Arya Samaj marriage certificate is valid in India and recognized by the government. Well, the Arya Samaj Act is amended under the Hindu Marriage Act, so there is nothing to worry about.
Now, let's look at how you can get your marriage registered under Arya Samaj.
Registration of the Arya Samaj Marriage
Registration of the Arya Samaj marriage is done by the sub-divisional magistrate, or you can also try the online registration, but that may take some time. Because in the E-registration, your appointment may come after 15 days.
- Visit the sub-divisional magistrate office and fill a form for the marriage.
- Then, you need to submit a few documents for the birth proofs and all.
- You would also need two passport size photographs of both parties and a photograph of the marriage.
- After you've completed all the formalities, the court will provide you with the certificate.
The marriage certificate in India cost around 100 to 200 rupees.
Well, Arya Samaj's marriage has its advantages, such as its the cost-effectiveness. The Arya Samaj temple charges a meager amount to perform the marriage. And it only takes a few hours to complete the marriage. Only two witnesses are required in this type of marriage, which can be anyone from your family or friends.